For the past few years I have kept a journal where I’ve recorded and reflected on my emotions. After revisiting them, I decided to create a dialogue of my thoughts and feelings. What developed was a poetic response about mental illness. I achieved this through screen printing posters with thermo–chromatic ink that I urge my audience to touch, interact with, and respond to. When the ink is activated with heat, it disappears revealing text on the posters that is normally hidden. Through these pieces of work, I hope to engage people and create connections between the viewer and the content.
This series includes three posters, which were created by picking words I didn't previously know the definition of. The posters are connected through color, type and process. For each poster, I used some form of collage to create them.
The College of Visual and Performing Arts at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth needed rebranding that better represented the college. Michelle Bowers designed and introduced a new logo, and then sought the help of other designers to begin implementing the new identity. My team was responsible for designing new presentations that would be shown to perspective students and incoming freshman. I believed it was important for students to hear the voices of current art students. Using Humans of UMass Dartmouth photos and quotes, I created images that highlighted student opinions that were bright and eye–catching, as well as informative. I also created shapes that were reminiscent of the architecture of the buildings, which became heading banners.
Arts Oceana is a summer program at the College of Visual and Performing Arts at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. It offers art classes and workshops for perspective and current students, artists and educators. I worked as a Senior Designer on this project, which was a collaborative effort between myself and two Junior Designers. We were hired by a client to design a booklet that provided the necessary information for individuals who were interested in the summer program. While responsible for the design execution, we also provided our own photography where it was needed.
Clarity in the Complex
The purpose of creating this book was to compare the styles and work of Dana Tanamachi and Martin Venezky. The book highlights selected pieces of work, focusing on the way they use their hands as a tool.
This product was the result of wanting to eat healthier. “Meraki” which translates to “doing something with soul, creativity, or love,” was about creating a product that brought color and fun into cooking. I created three seasonings that were designed to enhance food. The result was colorful packaging that stands out on the shelf.
Olives & Grace
I worked on various projects for Olives & Grace, mainly for social media sites and platforms including Facebook, Eventbrite, Pinterest and the Olives & Grace website.
Website design for Chiron Press, a small printing studio out of New York in the 1960s. The website highlights the work of well–known artists of the time, such as Roy Lichtenstein and Andy Warhol. The information researched explains how Chiron Press influenced these artists work, and the printmaking process.
Jinx is a make-up brand designed for Target. One of the problems I have with the beauty department is that most products are considered “drugstore” brands. Also, the color palettes are the same, which doesn’t give shoppers much of a selection. I targeted a younger age group that desired a more alternative palette that reflected today’s edgy trends. Jinx introduced a darker color palette and a more sophisticated design that demands the attention of customers.
The Dartmouth Natural Resources Trust launched the Pathway's Campaign in the summer of 2015, asking for 1.2 million dollars in order to continue preserving the land of Dartmouth, MA. To reach out to the community, I created a poster series and infographic to raise awareness of the campaign.
Type Teamwork was a workshop which consisted of twelve people collectively creating an original typeface. Within five days, our team brainstormed, sketched, illustrated and perfected our very own typeface, Astraea. The typeface was later produced into a font that can be used in various design programs. After the creation of Astraea, it was CNC routed and cut out of wood. After a few weeks, our team was able to letterpress the typeface. A set of detachable serifs were designed as well.
Confidence in my Closet
I have always believed that when you dress confident, you feel confident. This is the belief that sparked this infographic. I collected data from my wardrobe and presented the information in ways that made you question the colors you wear and which brands you gravitate towards. This experiment taught me how to visualize data, simultaneously making me feel that my “I have nothing to wear” argument was invalid.